Untold Billions REMAIN Untold: A Case of Global Evangelism!
The unreached are dying without ever hearing the good news! Why? Romans 10 provides the Biblical basis for our vast failure. Romans 10:12-15: “For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him. For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard, and how shall they hear without a preacher? And how shall they preach , except they be sent as it is written , How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!”
Consider the Following Facts About Missions
The facts I am quoting come from a great missionary Book, written by my friend, Jon Nelms. The book is titled: “The Great Omission.” He says on pages 53 and 54 the following: “This planet, at least in missionary terms, has been divided into what is called “The Three Worlds”: World A, World B, and you guessed it–World C. Allow me to define them:
• The truly “unreached world” of people who have never even heard the name of Jesus.
• Percentage of the global population: 28 percent.
• Percentage of missionaries targeting World A: 2.5 percent.
• The “unevangelized world” of people who have limited access to the Gospel but are not yet considered Christian nations. The Gospel has penetrated their borders but has not reached the majority of the people. Given time, the majority of the people will be reached—perhaps within two or three generations.
• Percentage of the global population: 39 percent.
• Percentage of missionaries targeting World B 17.5 percent.
• The “evangelized world” of people who have full and unrestricted access to the Gospel, regardless of whether or not they choose to hear or accept it.
• Percentage of the global population: 33 percent.
• Percentage of missionaries targeting World C: 80 percent.”
Does God still love the Lost? Has He changed or abandoned His plan for Global Evangelism? These are obviously rhetorical questions. God loves the World and every single person in it. He desires that all might hear the truth of the Gospel. God desires that EVERY person know that there is only one way to Heaven, and this way is ONLY through His Son, Jesus Christ. John 14:6: “Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.” Acts 4:12 likewise makes this very clear, “Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved .”
Amazing Statistics Showing the Trail of Those Trying To Get To the Field
The last 15 years has revealed a 50% reduction in Americans ENTERING the mission force. “Of those who answered the call, 43% NEVER completed fund-raising “deputation.” WHY? There are many “Reasons.” Sometimes the Missionary grows frustrated and discouraged by what they face while on deputation. 75% of those who made it to the field came home within three years, and only 17 of every 100 who began the process, actually arrived and remained,” Gil Anger, Researcher. This of course greatly concerns me.
Yet, the latest estimates suggest that approximately 7,000 people groups are considered unreached. That means over 43% of the world’s people groups have no indigenous community of believing Christians able to evangelize the rest of their people group. Over 41% of the world’s population live in these over 7,000 people groups.
It is important to note that this does not mean every individual within an unreached people group has never heard of Jesus or understood the message of salvation. There is often a small percentage (less than 2%) Christ-followers in these groups, but the vast majority of the group has minimal, if any, exposure to the person of Jesus Christ and the Good News of God’s free gift of salvation.
In spite of lots of excitement about large numbers coming to Christ around the world, the fact is that 25% of the world which historically has had little or no contact with the gospel, (made up of mostly Muslims, Hindus and Buddhists) has not changed, and is not anticipated to change, unless something changes in the way we do things. The reasons for this are numerous, but the following statistics surely have something to do with it:
• “Only 2-4% of Christian Missionaries go to serve the 2 billion least reached”
• “Of foreign mission funding: 87% goes for work among those already Christian, 12% for work among already evangelized, but Non-Christian, 1% for work among the unevangelized and *unreached people. (Baxter 2007, 12).
Why Are So Few God-Called Missionaries, Actually Getting To the Field?
The easy answer is that they were probably never called in the first place. Or, that it “must not” had REALLY been “God’s will” for the Missionary to go in the first place. Really? Are we truly serious by accepting these shallow explanations? Let me share some of the “reality” that faces the average missionary trying his best to get to the place of God’s calling.
Missionaries often face an avalanche of non-returned phone calls while seeking to introduce themselves, and their ministry. Of the relatively small amount of those reached, there is an overwhelming number of church leadership that will immediately say, “Brother, I would love to help you, but the economy is tight and we just cannot take on any more missionaries.” A Missionary simply wants the opportunity to come and share God’s calling for their life.
Our ministry is a Global ministry in which we travel all over the world, evangelizing, and we then start Churches from those saved. Last year God graciously allowed us to also help start two Bible Colleges as well. I can truly say, that without generous support, and those that are giving financially each month that this type of ministry would not be possible. God knows how to bring people together to accomplish HIS ministry.
I thank God that He has provided different Churches and Families that have helped me get to the field to win souls. They have come from the most unexpected sources. Three Families from Indiana and Georgia have purchased flight tickets and most, if not all the expenses of the Missionary Journeys. At other times, Sunday School classes from our sending church have raised money. We have a few different individuals that faithfully give each month, as well as three Churches. At other times, a one-time gift that was exactly what we needed was given to make the difference. We have even had three Facebook friends faithfully assist our ministry as they are able. Truly I can say as one great missionary once said, “God’s work, done in God’s way, will not lack supply.”
Missionaries are so varied in their looks, schooling, and church size they are coming from. Even their personalities are diverse. Some are shy and introverted, which may actually become a barrier in getting selected to share their call in a church. While others are very out-going and extroverted and may find a much easier time to receive “the invitation” to present their calling in a local church. Yet God is able to use us all for His Glory!
Yes, God uses many different personalities in missions and ministry. He used Peter that was quite the extrovert, while using Moses that had a speech impediment. He used a Jack Hyles that was often loud and highly motivating, yet he used a Jonathan Edwards that was a man that had poor eyesight and held his sermons close to his eyes as he read them. All were greatly used of God, yet we may make a decision to have or not to have a Missionary based on his personality.
No missionary I know of, is expecting a church to completely understand their exact calling, or be as ecstatic and exhilarated as they are with the call. However, they do expect each local church to give prayerful consideration of this calling, so they might present the need and their call.
The Great Commission has long become the Great Omission! Imagine the shame Hudson Taylor felt when a new Chinese convert raised the question, “how long ago did you say Jesus died??? NONE of my ancestors had ANY idea.” This is completely unacceptable and we must ALL work together to reach the World for Jesus Christ!
We That Possess the Truth MUST Become Possessed By the Truth
Here is what the Bible teaches that we must allow our hearts and minds to become possessed with, as we strive TOGETHER to win the multitudes to Jesus Christ.
1. We must really believe that all people are sinners. Romans 3:10; 3:23.
2. We must really believe that all people deserve to die and go to hell. Romans 6:23.
3. We must really believe that Jesus Christ died in every person’s place, shed His blood as the only payment of man’s sin, died, and was buried, and three days later, Jesus rose from the grave. Hebrews 9:22, I Corinthians 15:1-4.
4. We must really believe that Jesus Christ desires every single person to hear the Gospel and come to salvation which is only through him. II Peter 3:9; I Timothy 2;4; I John 2:2.
5. We must really believe that God has called each Church and Christian to take this Gospel of Salvation and teach it to the World. Matthew 28:18-20; Mark 16:15; Luke 24:47; John 20:21; Acts 1:8.
6. We must really believe that if any person will come to Jesus Christ, that He will saved them and take them to Heaven. John 3:16-18; Romans 10:9-13; I Timothy 1:15.
7. We must really believe that EVERY one without Jesus Christ WILL spend eternity apart from Jesus in the Lake of Fire. Revelation 21:8; Revelation 20:14-15.
8. We must really believe that God Takes No Pleasure in The Death of the Unsaved. Ezekiel 33:11.
9. We must really believe that God will hold the Believer, as well as the Church accountable for failing in Global Missions. Romans 14:11-12; II Corinthians 5:10.
10. We must really believe that our time is short. II Corinthians 7:29. Therefore, we must do all that we can while we can for the Cause of Christ!
The Calling and Command is clear and concise: Take the Gospel to the Entire World. What reason will you use for not Giving or Going in obedience to the Commands of Jesus Christ? Yes, Untold Billions REMAIN Untold! This is not an Option to Consider; it is an Order to be obeyed!
Will you allow the TRUTH to grip your heart this day so that it leads you to do more for Missions? You possess the truth, but does the truth really possess you? Until it does, the sad plight of those without the Gospel will continue to plunge into an everlasting hell.
The Mission of Jesus is to be the Mission of the Church!